Dépèche transmise le 25 avril 2012 par Business Wire
Metro Boston to Send a Reader into Space
BOSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Metro, Boston’s #1 daily newspaper, is proud to announce that local reader Justin Dowd from Worcester, MA, has won Metro’s Race for Space, a global competition to select one Metro reader to travel into space.
“He is absolutely unique. He taught me things in his video that I didn't understand as well as I do now. He really blew me away with that. I can't think of any better ambassador to tell the story about this space trip than him.”
Justin, 22, beat hundreds of thousands of candidates across the world to win a the coveted once-in-a-lifetime ticket on board XCOR Lynx, the first generation rocket-powered aircraft currently being built by leading spaceflight company SXC (Space Expedition Curaçao).
Metro, the leading free daily in the US, became the first newspaper to offer a reader the chance to visit space when it launched its ‘Race for Space’ competition in March.
It partnered with sister titles across the world – from everywhere from Montreal to Santiago, from Stockholm to Seoul - and SXC to offer one of Metro’s millions of global readers the chance to win a trip into space – a prize valued, according to the SXC website, at nearly a six-figure sum.
“The Metro way is to be bold, exciting and fresh. In the last year we’ve had Lady Gaga and Karl Lagerfeld as our exclusive Guest Editor – and now we’ll become the first American newspaper to send a reader into space. The sky’s the limit for Metro and for Justin,” said Yggers Mortensen, CEO and Publisher of Metro in the US.
Michiel Mol, a founder of SXC, commented: "It's our mission to make space accessible for the world. Working together with what probably is the world's most accessible news medium of our planet is of course a perfect match.”
Justin Dowd has both the mental and physical smarts needed to be a perfect astronaut. A physics and math undergraduate at Boston’s Northeastern University, he wowed the judging panel with his stunning chalkboard stop motion video on Einstein's theory of relativity. Meanwhile, Dowd has been training for a grueling 12-mile (19-km) endurance obstacle course race.
In reacting to the news, Dowd, who was told of his success just this morning (Wednesday April 25) told Metro, “I’m the luckiest guy in the world and for about 20 minutes, I’ll be the luckiest guy in outer space!”
Dowd added that it’s “an absolute honor” to be the part of the world’s first space mission to be launched by a newspaper. “To say this is a once-in-a-lifetime event is an understatement. This is the first time ever this sort of mission is happening and I am elated to be a part of history.”
J. Murray Gibson, Dean of the College of Science at Northeastern University said: "Northeastern is very proud of Justin. All of our students aim for the stars, and some students actually reach them. We’ve had students represent our university on all seven continents, but this is the first one to reach the final frontier!"
And Harry Van Hulten, test pilot with SXC and global jury member that selected Dowd, added: "My motivation for him is that he really provides an amazing package in the combined qualities of scientific background, artistic qualities, dedication and the gift to tell a fascinating story.”
"He is absolutely unique. He taught me things in his video that I didn't understand as well as I do now. He really blew me away with that. I can't think of any better ambassador to tell the story about this space trip than him."
Dowd will receive astronaut training ahead of the trip scheduled for 2014. The ‘civilian astronaut’ will be able to chronicle his preparations and space flight itself in a series of reports published in Metro across the globe.
At a date to be arranged, Justin Dowd will:
1. Join a spaceflight from the SXC Space Mission in Curacao.
This includes a return flight to Curacao, and three nights in a five-star hotel.
2. Undergo two pre-spaceflight training missions in Holland
The missions will be held in the Netherlands on two consecutive days. The winner will receive a return air ticket to the Netherlands, plus hotel accommodation. The winner will take part in mission-tactics training course and the two training missions described below.
SXC will teach Justin all he needs to know to fly into space. SXC’s professional instructors have prepared an enjoyable, tailor-made package that will get you ready for your space expedition.
He will spend time in the Desdemona simulator, a state-of-the-art space flight simulator – and the only one of its kind. Built by the Austrian company AMST and the Dutch National Physics Laboratory TNO and located in Soesterberg, the Netherlands, this is the first simulator that both offers a full range of motion and is capable of generating all G-forces up to 3.3G.
L-39 Albatross jet
The L-39 Albatross is a single engine, tandem-seat jet trainer that is ideally suited to preparing for the spaceflight in the Lynx Mk II. Justin will fly in the backseat, behind the professional instructor, and get used to flying in a high-performance aircraft, wearing a helmet – and even pulling some Gs! During this training mission, he will simulate the most important phases of spaceflight.
Metro US is the #1 free daily newspaper in the nation with over 1,209,483 daily readers. As the leading free daily newspaper, Metro targets the most active, high-spending young professional in New York, Boston, and Philadelphia and delivers the highest % of readers 18-49. Concise, contemporary and colourful, Metro provides news to captive, attention-hungry commuters. Metro offers innovative multi-platform/geo-targeted campaigns; print, out-of-home, and on-line. As the pioneer of the free daily newspaper, Metro's global brand attracts 18 million daily readers across 18 countries, making Metro the world's largest global newspaper.
Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=50253652&lang=en
- 13:46 Air China reçoit son premier Boeing 747-8
- 29/09Le futur Boeing 787-9 d'Etihad sort de peinture (photo)
- 28/09 China Eastern Airlines reçoit son premier Boeing 777-300ER
- 26/09Etihad dévoile sa nouvelle livrée
- 25/09Airbus A320neo : Son retour sur le plancher des vaches (Photographies)
- 25/09Airbus A320neo : Découvrez les photographies du premier décollage
- 25/09Airbus A320neo : Suivez le premier vol en direct de Toulouse (MàJ 15h20)
- 23/09Air Austral présente sa nouvelle image
- 21/09 Airbus vend 52 appareils en deux jours
- 18/09Qatar Airways prend, enfin, livraison de son premier Airbus A380
- 13/09Eva Air : Hello Kitty à Paris dès Octobre
- 12/09 Hainan Airlines relie Paris à la Chine
- 12/09Airbus : Le Beluga célèbre ses 20 ans
- 10/09 Boeing lance le B737 MAX 200
- 04/09 Boeing livre le premier Boeing 787-9 à United Airlines
- 02/09 Premier vol pour l'A400M de la Royal Air Force
- 01/09 Xiamen Airlines reçoit son premier Boeing 787
- 30/08 L'Airbus A400M, un ravitailleur en vol
- 28/08Le premier Airbus A350 Qatar Airways sort de peinture (photos)
- 27/08Royal Jordanian reçoit son premier Boeing 787
- 09/05Cathay Pacific and Klout Announce Exclusive Partnership and Invite Online Influencers to Visit Airline’s Lounge at SFO
- 09/05American Science and Engineering, Inc. Receives U.S. Government Order for Four ZBV Military Trailers for Counterterrorism Missions
- 09/05ILFC Completes 65 Lease Transactions in First Quarter
- 09/05Comtech Telecommunications Corp. Awarded $2.5 Million SATCOM Equipment Contract to Support Mobile Backhaul & Trunking
- 09/05Carlisle Companies to Present at Houlihan Lokey’s Global Industrials Conference May 10
- 09/05Unitech Composites Expands Capabilities with Non-Destructive Inspection (NDI) Solutions
- 09/05U.S. Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Janet Kavinoky Opens Tenth Annual Transplace Shipper Symposium
- 09/05Reval 12.0 Powers Information and Analytics Across Cash and Risk to Improve Decision-Making and Control for Companies
- 09/05Kaydon Corporation Announces Second Quarter Dividend
- 09/05Kaydon Corporation Reports First Quarter 2012 Results
- 09/05Sypris Declares Regular Quarterly Cash Dividend of $0.02 Per Share
- 09/05Ducommun Announces Upcoming Investor Events
- 09/05Hardinge Inc. Reports Increase in Net Income to $2.4 Million in First Quarter 2012
- 08/05AeroVironment Prepares for Continued Growth, Creates Chief Operating Officer Position and Promotes Tom Herring to Role
- 08/05American Airlines Pilots and Fellow Employees to Hold “No Confidence” Rallies
- 08/05Avolon acquires two A321 aircraft for delivery to US Airways
- 08/05Apriso Announces First Quarter 2012 Results
- 08/05TBI Selected By City of Atlanta to Continue Management of International Concourse E and Expands Role to Include New Maynard Holbrook Jackson Jr. International Terminal
- 08/05Lowest Level of Flight Delays Since Records Began
- 08/05Economic Growth to Continue Throughout 2012