Dépèche transmise le 12 avril 2012 par Business Wire
LONDON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--A study by Mikko Tuomi, an astronomer at the University of Hertfordshire, has revealed that the planetary system around the star named HD 10180 may have more planets in its orbits than our own Solar system. Dr Tuomi carried out his analysis as part of the EU research network RoPACS, being led in Hertfordshire.
Originally reported to be orbited by seven planets in 2010, re-analysed data from the HARPS (High Accuracy Radial Velocity Planet Searcher) now indicates that the star has nine planets. This discovery is significant as most planetary systems discovered so far have far fewer planets. Located 130 light years away, the star is not within reach of foreseeable human space travel, but in astronomical distances, it is still considered to be in the Solar neighbourhood.
The study, accepted for publication in the journal Astronomy and Astrophysics, verifies the existence of the previously announced seven planets and shows that there are likely to be two additional planets orbiting the star. The two newly detected signals are probably those of planets classified as hot super-Earths with orbital periods around the star of 10 and 68 days.
These new planets are closer to the star’s surface than the Earth is to the Sun which makes them too hot to be able to maintain water on their surfaces in its liquid form. They have masses of 1.9 and 5.1 times that of our planet Earth which suggests that they are solid rocky bodies and make them among the smallest planets outside of our Solar system detected to date.
Future observations are required to verify the existence of these planet candidates and to establish the HD 10180 star system as the richest planetary system known to humankind - certainly a star worth keeping our telescopes on into the future.
Notes to Editor
About the University of Hertfordshire
The University is the UK’s leading business-facing university and an exemplar in the sector. It is innovative and enterprising and challenges individuals and organisations to excel. The University of Hertfordshire is one of the region’s largest employers with over 2,300 staff and a turnover of almost £231 million.
With a student community of over 27,700 including more than 2,900 international students from over eighty-five different countries, the University has a global network of over 170,000 alumni.
The University of Hertfordshire was awarded ‘Entrepreneurial University of the Year 2010’ by the Times Higher Education (THE) and ranks in the top 4% of all universities in the world according to the recent THE, World University Rankings.
For more information, please visit www.herts.ac.uk
Did you know….? 10% of all known planets were discovered by University of Hertfordshire astronomers – We are pioneering!
Find out more at go.herts.ac.uk/didyouknow
This information was brought to you by Cision http://www.cisionwire.com
- 18:46Air Canada reçoit son premier Boeing 787-9
- 30/07 Syphax Airlines suspendue par l'IATA
- 27/07Le Lorraine Mondial Air Ballons bat un record
- 22/07 Oshkosh 2015 : Le DH98 Mosquito, “The Wooden Wonder”
- 22/07 Oshkosh 2015 : Rutan Legacy Day
- 22/07 Oshkosh 2015 : Arrivée de l’Airbus A350 XWB (photos)
- 22/07Oshkosh 2015 : "Living in the age of airplanes", le nouveau film de Brian Terwilliger
- 22/07 Oshkosh 2015 : Beringer présente un train d’atterrissage pour le vol de brousse
- 21/07Oshkosh 2015 : Première livraison pour Icon, "Yeah Baby !"
- 21/07 Oshkosh 2015 : Bon démarrage pour Piper Aircraft
- 21/07 Oshkosh 2015 : l'aéronautique dans le monde des réseaux sociaux avec SocialFlight
- 21/07Un Airbus A380neo pour 2025
- 18/07 Air France : Mexico en Airbus A380
- 15/07Le Solar Impulse 2 bloqué à Hawaï jusqu'en avril 2016
- 10/07 L'E-FAN traverse la Manche
- 06/07 Le premier Airbus A350 Cathay Pacific prend forme
- 05/07 Le Solar Impulse 2 bat des records
- 02/07Airbus : Accords avec la Chine
- 30/06Airbus livre le premier A350 à Vietnam Airlines
- 26/06 Air Canada ouvre une liaison Montréal-Lyon
- 09/05Cathay Pacific and Klout Announce Exclusive Partnership and Invite Online Influencers to Visit Airline’s Lounge at SFO
- 09/05American Science and Engineering, Inc. Receives U.S. Government Order for Four ZBV Military Trailers for Counterterrorism Missions
- 09/05ILFC Completes 65 Lease Transactions in First Quarter
- 09/05Comtech Telecommunications Corp. Awarded $2.5 Million SATCOM Equipment Contract to Support Mobile Backhaul & Trunking
- 09/05Carlisle Companies to Present at Houlihan Lokey’s Global Industrials Conference May 10
- 09/05Unitech Composites Expands Capabilities with Non-Destructive Inspection (NDI) Solutions
- 09/05U.S. Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Janet Kavinoky Opens Tenth Annual Transplace Shipper Symposium
- 09/05Reval 12.0 Powers Information and Analytics Across Cash and Risk to Improve Decision-Making and Control for Companies
- 09/05Kaydon Corporation Announces Second Quarter Dividend
- 09/05Kaydon Corporation Reports First Quarter 2012 Results
- 09/05Sypris Declares Regular Quarterly Cash Dividend of $0.02 Per Share
- 09/05Ducommun Announces Upcoming Investor Events
- 09/05Hardinge Inc. Reports Increase in Net Income to $2.4 Million in First Quarter 2012
- 08/05AeroVironment Prepares for Continued Growth, Creates Chief Operating Officer Position and Promotes Tom Herring to Role
- 08/05American Airlines Pilots and Fellow Employees to Hold “No Confidence” Rallies
- 08/05Avolon acquires two A321 aircraft for delivery to US Airways
- 08/05Apriso Announces First Quarter 2012 Results
- 08/05TBI Selected By City of Atlanta to Continue Management of International Concourse E and Expands Role to Include New Maynard Holbrook Jackson Jr. International Terminal
- 08/05Lowest Level of Flight Delays Since Records Began
- 08/05Economic Growth to Continue Throughout 2012