Dépèche transmise le 11 avril 2012 par Business Wire
Phipps Center for Sustainable Landscapes to Feature PPG Glass
PITTSBURGH--(BUSINESS WIRE)--PPG Industries (NYSE:PPG) announced that the Center for Sustainable Landscapes being constructed on the campus of Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens in Pittsburgh will include SUNGATE(R) 500 STARPHIRE(R) glass and SOLARBAN(R) 60 Starphire glass by PPG. The two advanced architectural glasses were selected for characteristics that will help the center become one of the world’s first certified “living” buildings.
“PPG glass was specified for the project because we wanted a low-e (low-emissivity), high-performing glass that provides state-of-the-art solar and thermal control and energy efficiency, while admitting maximum daylight”
Richard Piancentini, Phipps executive director, said the center is designed to meet or exceed the stringent standards of the Living Building Challenge, an advocacy and certification program that encourages architects, designers, specifiers and building owners to achieve the highest possible standards of sustainable design. He said glass selection was critical to helping the center meet rigorous standards for energy use and human health and comfort.
“PPG glass was specified for the project because we wanted a low-e (low-emissivity), high-performing glass that provides state-of-the-art solar and thermal control and energy efficiency, while admitting maximum daylight,” Piancentini said.
Chris Minnerly, AIA, LEED AP, principal of The Design Alliance Architects, who specified the glass, concurred. “One of the key aspects of glass selection is to balance the solar heat gain coefficient against the visible light transmittance to get the best overall performance,” he said. “The glass assemblies have to have the best UV transmission in certain light spectrums to facilitate the growth of plants.”
Minnerly specified two triple-pane insulating glass units (IGUs) to meet performance requirements in different parts of the building. Sungate 500 Starphire glass will be installed above the sunshade and light shelves, while Solarban 60 Starphire glass will be used below.
When combined with Starphire glass in the specified triple-pane IGU, Sungate 500 glass has visible light transmittance (VLT) of 63 percent and a solar heat gain coefficient (SHGC) of 0.51, which yields a light-to-solar gain (LSG) ratio of 1.24. Solarban 60 Starphire glass in the same configuration generates an LSG ratio of 1.90 based on VLT of 61 percent and a SHGC of 0.32. Winter nighttime U-values for both configurations are less than 0.20.
The Living Building Challenge was developed in 2005 by the Cascadia Region Green Building Council and requires buildings to generate all of their own energy with renewable resources, to capture and treat all of their water on-site and to use resources efficiently and for maximum beauty. The certification program, which is now administered by the International Future Living Institute, measures a building’s performance in seven areas, including site, water, energy, health, materials, equity and beauty. So far, only three projects have achieved “living” status by meeting all 20 imperatives established by the Living Building Challenge.
For more information on Sungate 500, Solarban 60 and Starphire glasses by PPG, visit www.ppgideascapes.com or call 1-888-PPG-IDEA (774-4332).
About Phipps Conservatory
Built by Henry W. Phipps in 1893 at the height of Pittsburgh’s industrial prowess, Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens has evolved from the nation’s first teaching conservatory to a distinguished eco-champion among America’s 500 public gardens. The facility’s mission is to inspire and educate visitors with the beauty and importance of plants; to advance sustainability and worldwide biodiversity through action and research; and to celebrate its historic glasshouse. For more information, call 412-622-6914 or visit phipps.conservatory.org.
PPG: BRINGING INNOVATION TO THE SURFACE.(TM)
PPG Industries' vision is to continue to be the world’s leading coatings and specialty products company. Through leadership in innovation, sustainability and color, PPG helps customers in industrial, transportation, consumer products, and construction markets and aftermarkets to enhance more surfaces in more ways than does any other company. Founded in 1883, PPG has global headquarters in Pittsburgh and operates in more than 60 countries around the world. Sales in 2011 were $14.9 billion. PPG shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange (symbol: PPG). For more information, visit www.ppg.com.
Bringing innovation to the surface is a trademark and Solarban, Sungate and Starphire are registered trademarks of PPG Industries Ohio, Inc.
Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=50235536&lang=en
- 24/04Aero 2015 : Un bilan très positif pour cette édition
- 23/04Aero 2015 : Friedrichshafen, le salon de l'autogire ... Pourquoi ?
- 23/04 Aero 2015 : Ypselon GT, l'avion électrique belge pointe son nez
- 23/04 Vietnam Airlines : son premier B787-9 fait son roll out (photos)
- 22/04 Aero 2015 : SEA intrigue avec son Risen
- 22/04 Aero 2015 : BlackWing, l'ultra-léger rapide venu de Suède
- 21/04Où en est l'Akoya? Lisa Airplanes nous ouvre ses portes en Savoie
- 20/04Aero 2015 : Flywhale, le seul amphibie du salon
- 19/04Emirates commande des moteurs Rolls-Royce pour 50 de ses Airbus A380
- 19/04Aero 2015 : Le Stream de TL sort ses atouts
- 18/04ANA, une livrée Star Wars elle exploitera (Photos)
- 18/04 Aero 2015 : Bosch investit dans l'électrique
- 17/04 Aero 2015 : edm aerotec présente son hélicoptère à double rotor
- 17/04 Aero 2015 : Le papier reste une perspective d'avenir pour Air Million
- 17/04Aero 2015 : E-Props expose son savoir faire dans les hélices légères
- 16/04Aero 2015 : L'autogire Bulldog dans les starting blocks
- 16/04Aero 2015 : Les mini-tracteurs d'AC Air distribués en Europe
- 15/04 Aero 2015 : l'autogire Cavalon certifié par la CAA
- 15/04 Aero 2015 : Kestrel et Eclipse deviennent ONE Avation
- 15/04Aero 2015 ouvre ses portes
- 09/05Cathay Pacific and Klout Announce Exclusive Partnership and Invite Online Influencers to Visit Airline’s Lounge at SFO
- 09/05American Science and Engineering, Inc. Receives U.S. Government Order for Four ZBV Military Trailers for Counterterrorism Missions
- 09/05ILFC Completes 65 Lease Transactions in First Quarter
- 09/05Comtech Telecommunications Corp. Awarded $2.5 Million SATCOM Equipment Contract to Support Mobile Backhaul & Trunking
- 09/05Carlisle Companies to Present at Houlihan Lokey’s Global Industrials Conference May 10
- 09/05Unitech Composites Expands Capabilities with Non-Destructive Inspection (NDI) Solutions
- 09/05U.S. Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Janet Kavinoky Opens Tenth Annual Transplace Shipper Symposium
- 09/05Reval 12.0 Powers Information and Analytics Across Cash and Risk to Improve Decision-Making and Control for Companies
- 09/05Kaydon Corporation Announces Second Quarter Dividend
- 09/05Kaydon Corporation Reports First Quarter 2012 Results
- 09/05Sypris Declares Regular Quarterly Cash Dividend of $0.02 Per Share
- 09/05Ducommun Announces Upcoming Investor Events
- 09/05Hardinge Inc. Reports Increase in Net Income to $2.4 Million in First Quarter 2012
- 08/05AeroVironment Prepares for Continued Growth, Creates Chief Operating Officer Position and Promotes Tom Herring to Role
- 08/05American Airlines Pilots and Fellow Employees to Hold “No Confidence” Rallies
- 08/05Avolon acquires two A321 aircraft for delivery to US Airways
- 08/05Apriso Announces First Quarter 2012 Results
- 08/05TBI Selected By City of Atlanta to Continue Management of International Concourse E and Expands Role to Include New Maynard Holbrook Jackson Jr. International Terminal
- 08/05Lowest Level of Flight Delays Since Records Began
- 08/05Economic Growth to Continue Throughout 2012