Dépèche transmise le 12 avril 2012 par Business Wire
PPG Aerospace Donates Coatings for Reconstructed Grumman Albatross Airplane
SYLMAR, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--PPG Industries’ (NYSE:PPG) aerospace coatings group donated primer and topcoats for repainting a reconstructed Grumman HU-16 Albatross search-and-rescue amphibian aircraft for the Air Rescue Museum that will appear at airshows as a “flying museum.”
“Working with our customer Northrop Grumman, whose employees painted the airplane, offered a great partnership opportunity. Teamwork by all involved was seamless, and coordination was incredible, especially when they ran short of paint and we manufactured and shipped more within 24 hours to complete the job.”
The PPG Aerospace military coatings group worked with the Dallas and Los Angeles application support centers and the Mojave, Calif., manufacturing facility to provide coatings for the project. DESOPRIME(TM) HS/CA 7233 military primer and DESOTHANE(R) HS/CA 8200 series military and defense topcoats helped recreate a 1957 U.S. Air Force Air Rescue Service paint scheme, and Desothane HS/CA 8800 clear topcoat provided a final high-gloss protective finish.
“We were excited to participate in this restoration and pleased to offer high-quality, easy-to-use, military-qualified coatings,” said Duane Utter, PPG global segment manager, military aerospace coatings and classified products. “Working with our customer Northrop Grumman, whose employees painted the airplane, offered a great partnership opportunity. Teamwork by all involved was seamless, and coordination was incredible, especially when they ran short of paint and we manufactured and shipped more within 24 hours to complete the job.”
Bringing the Albatross up to flying condition was the dream of Dr. Robert Ryan, a retired U.S. Army colonel and pilot who owns the aircraft and is director of flight operations and maintenance for the Air Rescue Museum. As an Air Rescue Service pilot, his father flew Albatross airplanes, designed in the 1940s by Grumman Aircraft Engineering Co., predecessor to Northrop Grumman. The younger Ryan befriended now-retired U.S. Air Force Lt. Col. John Stipetich while both were commercial pilots. Sharing their “burning love for aviation,” Stipetich conceived the idea of the Air Rescue Museum and is its president. It took about a dozen years for their dreams to become a reality.
The museum’s Albatross aircraft is constructed from what Stipetich describes as “more than two airplanes,” including one he said was abandoned in Taiwan by former Philippines President Ferdinand Marcos. Once the Albatross was airworthy, with reconstructed engines and propellers, Northrop Grumman agreed to donate painting services and PPG agreed to donate the paint.
Debbie Cates, PPG senior sales and market development, ASC-Dallas, made sure PPG could supply the custom colors: flat silver metallic with gloss yellow for striping, and black, blue, red and white for markings. Mike Garibay, PPG senior sales and market development, ASC-Los Angeles, facilitated delivery of the paint to Northrop Grumman’s Palmdale, Calif., facility. Seeing the repainted aircraft for the first time, Stipetich said it was “just gorgeous.”
“Northrop Grumman prides itself on our greatest asset – our employees,” said Tommy Tomlinson, vice president, Northrop Grumman Production Operations, and Palmdale site manager. “They not only took on the challenge to restore the Albatross to its original Air Force paint scheme, but preserved a piece of history for others to see in this ‘flying museum.’ It is a tradition for Northrop Grumman to give back to our communities, and our employees are second to none in doing so.”
PPG Aerospace is the aerospace products and services business of PPG Industries. PPG Aerospace – PRC-DeSoto is the leading global producer of aerospace sealants, coatings, and packaging and application systems. PPG Aerospace – Transparencies is the world’s largest supplier of aircraft windshields, windows and canopies.
About the Air Rescue Museum
The Air Rescue Museum is a private, nonprofit organization whose purpose is to educate the public about the history of the U.S. Air Force Air Rescue Service, which operated Albatross airplanes. According to the Warbird Alley website, 464 Albatross airplanes were built, with more than 300 ordered by the U.S. Air Force, and most of those were assigned to the Air Rescue Service of the Military Air Transport Service. More than 30 Albatross aircraft are airworthy today. For more information, visit www.airrescuemuseum.org.
PPG: BRINGING INNOVATION TO THE SURFACE.(TM)
PPG Industries’ vision is to continue to be the world’s leading coatings and specialty products company. Through leadership in innovation, sustainability and color, PPG helps customers in industrial, transportation, consumer products, and construction markets and aftermarkets to enhance more surfaces in more ways than does any other company. Founded in 1883, PPG has global headquarters in Pittsburgh and operates in more than 60 countries around the world. Sales in 2011 were $14.9 billion. PPG shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange (symbol:PPG). For more information, visit www.ppg.com.
Bringing innovation to the surface is a trademark of PPG
Industries Ohio, Inc.
Desoprime is a trademark and Desothane is a registered trademark of PRC-DeSoto International, Inc.
Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=50236408&lang=en
- 08:51Livre pour enfants : L'imagerie des avions
- 22/04 Le F-35 Lightning II sera à Farnborough !
- 22/04 Airbus : la Turquie reçoit son premier A400M
- 18/04Transaero Airlines dévoile la configuration de ses Airbus A380
- 17/04 Boeing livre son 8000ème 737
- 15/04Le solar Impulse 2 est prêt pour un tour du monde
- 15/04Aigle Azur repousse encore son Paris-Pékin mais recevra deux Airbus A330
- 11/04 Qingdao Airlines reçoit son premier appareil
- 08/04L'Airbus A380 Skymark Airlines s'envole (photos)
- 07/04Airbus dévoile la cabine de l'A350 (photos)
- 06/04Boeing dévoile le premier B787-9 d'Air New Zealand
- 04/04Kenya Airways reçoit son premier Boeing 787 et l'envoie à Paris en juin
- 03/04 Boeing lance le 737 BBJ MAX
- 01/04Boeing : Air Canada finalise une importante commande
- 29/03 Bombardier : Adria Airways commande deux CRJ-900 NextGen
- 28/03Paris-CDG : L'Airbus A380 en force
- 28/03 All Nippon Airways s'offre 70 Boeing et Airbus
- 27/03Airbus : l'A380 d'Asiana Airlines sort de peinture (photos)
- 26/03 Turkmenistan Airlines reçoit un Boieng 777-200LR
- 24/03 Air Canada Rouge arrive en France
- 09/05Cathay Pacific and Klout Announce Exclusive Partnership and Invite Online Influencers to Visit Airline’s Lounge at SFO
- 09/05American Science and Engineering, Inc. Receives U.S. Government Order for Four ZBV Military Trailers for Counterterrorism Missions
- 09/05ILFC Completes 65 Lease Transactions in First Quarter
- 09/05Comtech Telecommunications Corp. Awarded $2.5 Million SATCOM Equipment Contract to Support Mobile Backhaul & Trunking
- 09/05Carlisle Companies to Present at Houlihan Lokey’s Global Industrials Conference May 10
- 09/05Unitech Composites Expands Capabilities with Non-Destructive Inspection (NDI) Solutions
- 09/05U.S. Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Janet Kavinoky Opens Tenth Annual Transplace Shipper Symposium
- 09/05Reval 12.0 Powers Information and Analytics Across Cash and Risk to Improve Decision-Making and Control for Companies
- 09/05Kaydon Corporation Announces Second Quarter Dividend
- 09/05Kaydon Corporation Reports First Quarter 2012 Results
- 09/05Sypris Declares Regular Quarterly Cash Dividend of $0.02 Per Share
- 09/05Ducommun Announces Upcoming Investor Events
- 09/05Hardinge Inc. Reports Increase in Net Income to $2.4 Million in First Quarter 2012
- 08/05AeroVironment Prepares for Continued Growth, Creates Chief Operating Officer Position and Promotes Tom Herring to Role
- 08/05American Airlines Pilots and Fellow Employees to Hold “No Confidence” Rallies
- 08/05Avolon acquires two A321 aircraft for delivery to US Airways
- 08/05Apriso Announces First Quarter 2012 Results
- 08/05TBI Selected By City of Atlanta to Continue Management of International Concourse E and Expands Role to Include New Maynard Holbrook Jackson Jr. International Terminal
- 08/05Lowest Level of Flight Delays Since Records Began
- 08/05Economic Growth to Continue Throughout 2012